16. Masterpieces of Painting – Tips on navigating and printing.
The two Masterpieces of Painting programs share the same core program, but each volume includes additional material. The format, and layout of the programs is identical - even the pictures are shared from one volume to another, but differences occur in the material that is provided.
When you first open the programs, they both include these sections:
- The Virgin Mary
- History Painting
- Between the Old and the New Testament
- Still Life
- Mythological and Allegorical Themes
- Genre Scenes
If you click on the spinning museum, in the upper right-hand corner of the main screen, and then click on the arched doorway, you will enter the virtual museum. Once you're inside the central hallway of the building, you'll see doorways lining the walls, and each contains a different century's paintings. To move around the screen, move your cursor to the edge of the museum picture, and your cursor will turn into a two-sided arrow - now when you press the mouse button, you will slowly revolve around the hallway.
To enter a room to view the paintings, move your view (as described above) so that a doorway appears in the center of your screen. Now, if you place your mouse cursor over the doorway, the pointer should change to a hand, pointing to that room, and you'll see a label appearing below, of the particular century you are viewing (e.g. "XV Century"). To enter the room, hold down your mouse button, and you will slowly glide into the room. When you stop moving, place your mouse cursor over a painting and the artist's name and a description of the painting will appear.
When you click on a painting, the painting will enlarge.
- If you have the correct Masterpieces volume in your CD player for the particular century's room you are viewing, then when you click on the picture, a short audio lecture will describe the painting and give you some background of the artist. When the lecture is complete, you will see a small menu bar in the bottom right side of your screen. Simply click on "Back" to return to the room you left, to proceed with your tour. Please note that it is on this screen that you will see a "Help" menu, a link to the "Main" screen, an "Exit" button, and the "Index," which is where you will find the information pertaining to artists and their works that is unique to this volume.
- If you have the Masterpieces volume in your CD player that covers centuries other than the picture you clicked upon, the picture will simply enlarge. To return to the viewing room, simply click on the enlarged picture.
You can access the program's Index from a number of screens - from the Main screen you can click on any of the sections (e.g. The Virgin Mary) and then click on the picture you see to lead you to the menu bar with the link to the "Index." Click on the "Index" and you will see these section titles:
- Other Artists
Each of these sections except "Themes" has information that is specific to the centuries covered on the particular Masterpieces volume you are exploring.
For additional assistance, the "Help" menu within the program will provide instructions on navigating through the program.
The Masterpieces of Painting pictures can be printed in this way:
- Click on "My Computer" in the Start menu, or the shortcut on your desktop.
- Locate and right-click on the CD-ROM icon labeled "Masterpieces1" or "Masterpieces2" and choose "Explore."
- In the files to the right of your screen, locate and double-click on the "PICTURE" folder.
- Locate and double-click on the "FULL" folder, and in here are the largest versions of the pictures contained within the program.
- Click on the "View" menu at the top of the screen and click next the "Thumbnails" to view thumbnail sized pictures of the paintings.
- You may double-click on any of the paintings to view them, and then select "Print" from the "File" menu, or simply right-click on the thumbnail, and choose "Print."